Several voluntary youth organisations in the area have received thousands of pounds in grants to support the services they provide.
In total, £32,000 was distributed across the region via the Positive Activities Grants scheme run by the East Riding of Yorkshire Youth and Family Support Service, with over £15,000 of it going to groups in Goole and the surrounding area. The grants were presented to the groups at a ceremony at County Hall by East Riding Council’s chairperson, Councillor Caroline Fox.
Since 2013, East Riding of Yorkshire Council has provided £299,000 to help grow and develop a strong voluntary youth sector across the area. This investment has helped to create 48 new youth groups and support a further 131 youth groups over the last six years.
Councillor Fox said: “It was wonderful to meet recipients of the award who came from all over the East Riding. The awards will enable these groups to deliver positive activities to children and young people to help improve their personal, social and educational development, as well as providing some great fun activities.”
Kevin Hall, the council’s director of children, families and schools, said: “I am delighted that this year we are able to support 19 groups in total. We have seen a wide range of exciting and innovative bids to provide activities for young people across the East Riding, including sports, support for town and village youth clubs and a project to continue providing transport for rural youth groups and individual young people, to reduce social isolation and improve health, wellbeing and independence.”
The grants were awarded to voluntary not-for-profi t organisations to expand the amount of positive activity available to young people in the East Riding.Grants were awarded in the Goole area as follows:
• 2020 Community Sport: £1,748 to deliver bowls sessions in Goole.
• Castaway Music Theatre: £1,800 to support a musical production.
• Castaway Music Youth: £1,887 for musical equipment.
• Goole Community Group: £2,000 to support youth projects.
• Holme on Spalding Moor Kids Club: £2,000 to support the kids club.
• New Life Goole: £2,000 to support the youth club.
• Gilberdyke Parish Council: £800 to support summer excursions.
• Gilberdyke Parish Council: £800 to support the youth club.
• Newport Parish Council: £1,200 to support summer excursions.
• Newport Parish Council: £1,200 to support the youth club.
• New Life Outreach: £2,000 to support outreach workers in Goole.