A young farmer accused of causing the death of a pensioner who was on his way to a country shoot has admitted he was responsible for the first time at Hull Crown Court.
Jake Andrew Rewcastle, 20, is charged with causing the death of Keith Calvert, 65, in December 2014 on the B1230 at Scalby by dangerous driving.
Mr Rewcastle of Sandholme Road, Gilberdyke, is accused of hitting Mr Calvert who was out of his car on the side of the road around 9.20am.
Mr Rewcastle made a 15-minute appearance in the dock of court three at Hull Crown Court on Monday, February 1.
Crown barrister Ian West told the court it was a case of causing death by dangerous driving, but asked for the indictment not to be put to Mr Rewcastle at this stage. He said there had been a delay in providing Mr Rewcastle’s solicitors with a colour accident investigation report.
Defence barrister Abbas Lukha, QC, told the judge Mr Rewcastle admitted he was responsible for causing the accident and the issue was how far his driving fell below that expected by a careful and competent driver.
He said there was anxiety for both families in resolving this case as quickly as possible.
Judge Mark Bury said: “While this is regrettable it does not seem to be delaying the case anymore as we have a trial date. This is a case which ought to have been given priority. The family have heard the defendant admits responsibility for the tragic death of Mr Calvert and the only issue is was he driving carelessly or dangerously. That may be resolved on March 14 at the plea and case management hearing but it will be resolved on May 16 should there be a trial.
Judge Bury told Calvert: “You have indicated through your council you are responsible for the death of Mr Calvert and the issue of how responsible you were will be resolve on May 16. I release you on bail without conditions, except you should surrender to court on March 4. If you do not then you will be committing a further offence.”