Our Goole,
your award-winning ‘one stop shop’
for everything Goole

All your news, views, businesses, events and much more – at the touch of a button and through your letterbox in the monthly magazine – and best of all, it’s FREE!

Read our latest issue

Your ‘one stop shop’ for everything Goole

View online now

Do you have a disability or mental health condition and need advice and support to help start or stay in work? Access to Work may be able to help.

An Access to Work grant can pay for advice and practical support if you have a disability, health or mental health condition that affects your ability to do your job.
How much you can get depends on your circumstances but it doesn’t have to be paid back and will not affect other benefits however there are some exclusions.

Who is it for? Your disability, health or mental health condition must:
• Mean you have to pay extra work related costs for example special computer equipment or travel costs because you can’t use public transport.
• Mean you need support to start a new job, reduce absence or stay in work (for mental health conditions).

You must also:
•  Be 16 or over.
• Live in England, Scotland or Wales.
• Have a paid job, be starting one or have a job offer including self employment.
• Be on a work trial, supported internship, traineeship or certain work experience.
• Be an apprentice and experience mental health problems.

If you change jobs always inform Access to Work. You may be able to:
• Transfer equipment to a new job.
• Get a different amount of grant.

How much Access to Work grant you get depends on your circumstances. Access to Work grants are reviewed once a year. The current upper limit from 1st April 2017 is £42,100.

The money can pay for things like:
• Special equipment or adaptations.
• Fares to work if you can’t use public transport.
• A support worker or job coach to help you in your workplace.
• A support service if you have a mental health condition and you’re absent from work or finding it difficult to work.
• Disability awareness training for your colleagues.
• A communicator at a job interview or in the workplace.
• The cost of moving your equipment if you change location or job.

Visit our other publications and websites:

  Tadcaster Echo Doncaster Echo CreateTVT Selby